blank
Connect with us

Dyfed Powys Police

Police release dramatic pursuit footage as driver who sped around blind bends with headlights off and threw items at police car is jailed

Published

on

A disqualified driver who failed to stop for police, tried to blind officers in pursuit with strobe lights and threw items in front of their car to evade arrest has been jailed.

Shaun Davies, of Blackwood in Gwent, put the lives of officers and other road users at risk when he drove erratically through the Lampeter area – speeding around blind bends and turning his headlights off.

Officers from the Dyfed-Powys Police Road Safety Unit describe it as a miracle that nobody was not seriously injured or killed as a result of the 31-year-old’s reckless driving.

The incident took place during the early hours of Sunday, November 29, when Dyfed-Powys Police officers were made aware of a man who was driving despite being disqualified.

Roads policing officers made their way towards the Lampeter area, where the car had been seen, catching up with it on the A40 just before Llandovery.

Advertisement

Despite stopping for an officer on a single track road, the driver then restarted his engine and made off back towards Llandovery.

From this point, he began driving dangerously and erratically.

PC Oliver West said: “Davies contravened countless sets of solid white lines, both single and double, turned his headlights off numerous times despite roads being in complete darkness, and drove on the wrong side of the carriageway around bends with restricted or no view at speeds of around 80mph.

“He was driving in an outright dangerous manner, in an obvious attempt to stop police pursuing him.

“At times, a strobe light was shone towards the police vehicle, seemingly trying to blind the officer driving. This was an exceptionally dangerous course of action to take and shows his determination to get away from police.”

Advertisement

The Peugeot was driven in a loop through the village of Llanwrda, and back onto the A40. At this point, objects including tools and potatoes were thrown from the car towards the police vehicle.

Officers later found a bag of potatoes in the front of the car, and nuts and bolts strewn along the road.

“Driving through residential areas at 70mph with no headlights on, Davies posed a huge risk to other road users who might not have seen him coming,” PC West said.

“He drove through a no entry sign, and did not put his headlights on until he reached an unlit stretch of road.”

A stinger was deployed to stop the car, however Davies continued to drive for half a mile before slowing down, then fled from the vehicle.

Advertisement

He was found 20m away, hiding in brambles.

Davies was arrested at the roadside and later charged with dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, failing to stop, driving with no insurance, causing a danger to road users and possession of class B drug amphetamine.

He admitted the charges at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Monday, November 30 and was committed to Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on December 14.

He was jailed for 18 months, disqualified from driving for three years and nine months, and must pay a victim surcharge of £156.

Sergeant Rich Lucas, from Carmarthenshire Roads Policing unit said: “This was a particularly dangerous incident that my officers were subjected to. It was clear that the driver and occupants had no intention of stopping and were using tactics that not only put members of the public at risk but also the officer by the manner of driving along with throwing items at the police vehicle and attempting to blind the officer by use of a strong light being shone in their face.

Advertisement

“The location of this incident was mostly in rural areas, and these type of roads pose more dangers due to the sharp bends and limited street lighting.

“It was a miracle how anyone was not seriously injured or killed.

“The pursuing officer’s advanced driving skills allowed him to maintain constant observations whereby a stinger was eventually deployed by other traffic units which ended the pursuit.”

Roads Policing Inspector Andy Williams added: “This was a co-ordinated effort by the close knit Roads Policing Unit across Dyfed-Powys to deny criminals the use of the roads with determination and teamwork during what was a dangerous and fast-moving incident.

“The sentence imposed by the court sends a clear message that putting the public at risk in this way will not be tolerated.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Carmarthenshire

Parents pay tribute to 6 month old girl killed in Llanelli horror drunk driver crash

Published

on

By

The parents of a six-month-old baby killed in a collision in Llanelli on Friday (8 October) have paid tribute to their “perfect baby girl” who they say was “a gift from God”.

Eva Maria Nichifor died following a collision involving a blue 3 series BMW and a blue Vauxhall Vectra at the Heol Goffa crossroads in Llanelli at around 9pm.

Eva Maria’s parents Florin and Carmen, who originate from Romania, but now live in Llanelli, issued a tribute in English and Romanian.

“We are distraught by our loss. Eva Maria, only six months old, will be missed by us all.

“She was our miracle, our perfect baby girl, a gift from God. She will always be in our hearts.

“We would like to thank everyone for their support at this horrific time. It has meant so much to the whole family.

Advertisement

“We would now like time to grieve and would ask to be given privacy in which to do so.”

Suntem foarte supărați pentru pierderea noastră. Eva Maria, avea doar 6 luni si cu toții ii vom simți lipsa.

Ea a fost minunea noastră, un copil perfect și un dar dat de Dumnezeu. Va fi in inimile noastre pentru totdeauna.

“Va mulțumim tuturor pentru susținerea voastră in aceste vremuri dificile, înseamnă foarte mult pentru noi.

“Am vrea acum puțin timp sa ne adunam in liniște alături de familia noastră.

Advertisement

A woman has been charged with causing Eva Maria’s death by dangerous driving.

Lucy Dyer, aged 23, of Heulwen Terrace, Llanelli, was remanded in custody following the court hearing at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Monday (11 October). 

She is due appear before Swansea Crown Court on Friday, 12 November.  She was also charged with drink-driving.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Carmarthenshire

Body found in search for missing man at a Carmarthenshire forest

Published

on

By

A body has been found in the search for a missing man at forestry in the Llandovery area

Dyfed Powys Police issued an appeal after a man, named only by police as Geraint, was reported missing on Sunday (10 October).

Geraint’s car was discovered at Rhandirmwyn Forestry near Llandovery.

A search of the area took place on Sunday, and resumed again on Monday (11 October).

Tragically, police later issued a statement confirming that a body had been found.

Dyfed Powys Police confirmed that the man’s family have been informed.

Advertisement

(Lead image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Continue Reading

Dyfed Powys Police

Neyland man sentenced to 30 years for rape and abuse of young children

Published

on

By

A man has been sentenced to 30 years – 22 years in prison with an eight-year extended period on licence – for the sexual abuse and rape of children following an intensive investigation by Dyfed-Powys Police.

Jason James, aged 48, formerly of St Clements Road, Neyland, was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court today after being found guilty following trial of sexual activity with a child, assault by penetration, three counts of rape of a child under 13 and two counts of sexual assault of a child under 13.

The charges involved four children, who were supported through the investigation by specialist officers from Dyfed-Powys Police.

Investigating officer DC Kieran Griffiths said: “James was initially arrested for breach of his Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) in May 2019, this had come about following a report of him having unsupervised access with children.

“We would like to thank those individuals and their families that came forward at that time.”

As the investigation into these matters progressed, the level of depravity James had forced on innocent children in horrific attacks was uncovered.

Advertisement

James admitted four counts of breaching his SOPO ahead of the trial but denied all other charges.

A further two counts of breaching his SOPO, which was imposed on him more than a decade ago, were added before he was sentenced today. They dated to 2019 and involved a further two children.

DC Griffiths said he was pleased James had been given a lengthy sentence, which he hoped would bring some closure to the victims.

“It is good to get this result for the victims and their families, who have shown a great deal of courage and dignity throughout the investigation and court process,” he said.

“James is a manipulative man. He tried to avoid going to court but was deemed fit to stand trial on two occasions.

Advertisement

“He then refused to attend court when his trial came around, showing complete disregard for his victims and the ordeals he had put them through.

“This investigation has been a huge undertaking for officers and staff in various departments at Dyfed-Powys Police, so I’m pleased their hard work has paid off.

“Hopefully the sentence handed down to James today will help all the victims and families to move on with their lives.

“As this case shows, we will always take reports of this kind seriously and treat victims sensitively, providing specialist support throughout the investigation and court proceedings.”

DI Phil Kite added: “James is a dangerous sexual predator and the sentencing reflects the gravity of his offending and the impact it has had on the victims.”

Advertisement

He will remain on the Sexual Offender’s Register indefinitely.

(Lead image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News