Port Talbot shop staff who should have been isolating result in temporary store closure

Following a series of false rumours about the reasons for the temporary closure of a shop on Margam Road, Port Talbot, earlier this month, Neath Port Talbot Council have issued a statement to clarify the position.

In the statement, the council says the store was not forced to close but the owners agreed to a temporary closure so a deep clean could be carried out – something which was achieved successfully.

On Monday 11 January, Neath Port Talbot Council’s COVID Enforcement team received a referral from the Regional Test, Trace, Protect (TTP) team containing names of a number of people who had been requested to self-isolate as a result of a positive case within their extended family along with instructions to check on measures in place in terms of an associated shop/business.

Upon visiting the store it was found two people serving behind the till should have been self-isolating. As a consequence, South Wales Police and the local Joint Enforcement Team (JET) were contacted and the two people were reported for COVID breaches.

It was also observed there were no windows open for fresh air and if was agreed by all on January 12th that the store would remain closed temporarily for a deep clean and then re-open on Wednesday January 13th.

A follow up visit was made on January 13th to confirm if what had agreed had been actioned – the person the officers spoke to on that day was confirmed to be out of self-isolation and it was confirmed a deep clean of the premises had been carried out and thereby re-opened on the morning of January 13th.

All others at the premises were also out of self-isolation that day.

A Neath Port Talbot Council spokesman said: “Although it was observed the shop had hand sanitation points, signage and protective screens at the tills etc. a warning letter was nevertheless served (dated January 11th). The owner was reminded it was imperative he adhered to the rules of running the business, to which he agreed and was co-operative. It’s likely further spot check visits will take place over the coming weeks to ensure everything continues to be compliant.”

Leave a Reply