blank
Connect with us

Carmarthenshire

Police say attempted Bynea dognapping was ‘isolated incident’

Published

on

In a statement Police have said an incident which saw two men approach a dog walker and attempt to steal his pet was isolated, with no further reports received.

Dyfed-Powys Police say they are aware of increased concerns in the Llanelli area following a report of the attempted theft of a dog along the Millennium Coastal Path near Bynea, Carmarthenshire.

Officers are insisting that while the incident was extremely worrying for the dog owner involved, and is being investigated, there have been no further reports of walkers being approached in this manner.

Chief Inspector Shaun Bowen said: “We are aware that news of this incident has been shared widely on social media, and is causing a high level of concern among dog owners in Llanelli and the surrounding area, some of whom are now fearful of walking their pets.

“While there has been increased reporting around the issue of dog thefts in the media recently, the majority of these have centred around the thefts of dogs and puppies from breeders, and there has been no threat of harm to the dog owners.

“The incident in Bynea is at present isolated in terms of an individual being targeted while walking their dog, and we have received no further reports.

“We urge people to continue to take their usual safety measures while not reacting out of fear, but please do report any incidents or suspicious behaviour to us so we can continue to monitor the situation and build a bigger picture.”

Advertisement
Police have increased patrols around the Bynea coastal path following the attempted dognapping

The force received a report at around lunchtime on Friday, February 5 that a dog walker had been approached by two men near the Bynea nature reserve.

He reported that the men picked his dog up, making threats if he tried to take his pet back. Following a scuffle, the victim got hold of his dog and immediately reported the incident to police. Officers carried out a search of the area, but the men were no longer present and there was no information available about any vehicles the men might have travelled in to carry out enquiries.

The men were described as one being in his 40s, around 6ft tall, of stocky build, and wearing light blue jeans and a dark puffer jacket, and the other in his 20s, around 5ft 6in tall, and wearing similar clothing. 

Llwynhendy Neighbourhood Policing Team has carried out additional patrols along the Millennium Coastal Path from Bynea in the days following the report, offering advice to dog owners over keeping their pets safe.

Walkers are advised to use well-known paths where there are likely to be other people around, to walk their pets in daylight, carry a mobile phone, and let someone know where they are going and how long they are likely to be out.

Advertisement

In the case of an incident occurring, never react in a way that could risk your own personal safety, but contact police immediately by calling 999.

In a non-urgent situation, you can report to police in one of the following ways:
Online: bit.ly/DPP101Online
Email: 101@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk
Call: 101

(Lead image: Google Maps)


Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ammanford

Man who filmed rape on Ammanford victim’s phone changes plea mid trial

Published

on

By

A man who filmed himself raping an Ammanford woman on his victim’s phone has changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial.

Cameron Hassan, aged 31, of no fixed abode, attacked the woman, raping her as she slept on 21 August 2021.

Advertisement

Hassan had been on trial at Swansea Crown Court after denying any wrongdoing. However, after the jury was shown the video of the attack and hearing the victim was going to give evidence yesterday (Tuesday, 10 May), Hassan changed his plea to guilty.

Investigating Officer DC Sophie Lambert from Dyfed Powys Police said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation.

“I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation,” she said.

“We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims.

“If you are suffering because of similar abuse, please contact the police, or if you would rather speak to someone in confidence, New Pathways are an independent charity that will support you through every step of the investigation.”

Advertisement

New Pathways can be contacted at 01685 379 310 or email enquiries@newpathways.org.uk

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading

Carmarthenshire

Women’s Tour of Britain returns to Carmarthenshire

Published

on

By

The countdown is on before the world’s top women riders will race through Carmarthenshire as part of the Women’s Tour of Britain.

Some 108 cyclists will race through the County to the finishing line on top of the Black Mountain between Llangadog and Brynamman as part of the stage five event on Friday, June 10.

Advertisement

The route will be starting from Pembrey Country Park at 10.45am and riders competing for the title will go through Pinged, Carway, Pontyberem, Horeb, Llansawel, and Llangadog.

A rolling road closure will take place along the 65-mile route which will come into action at 10.45am until 1.50pm.

Roads will be re-opened once the cyclists have passed through. A full road closure will be in place over the Black Mountain from 5am-5pm.

The event will be broadcast on ITV4 and across Europe with a helicopter camera crew following the race.

The Women’s Tour departs on Monday, June 6, and coincides with the final day of a four-day Bank Holiday weekend in the UK to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee. The race will culminate with a prestigious finale six days later on Saturday, June 11.

Advertisement

Pembrey Country Park previously hosted the Grand Départ of the men’s Tour of Britain as well as the overall finish of the Women’s Tour in 2019.

Carmarthenshire County Council’s Chief Executive, Wendy Walters said: “We are thrilled that we have again been chosen to host this top cycling event. Previous years have brought an immediate economic boost to the tourism sector as well as providing a great deal of positive media coverage.”

(Lead image: Carmarthenshire Council)

Continue Reading

Dyfed Powys Police

Man banned from driving for 12 months for fishing offence

Published

on

By

A man from Merthyr Tydfil who travelled to the River Loughor, near Llanelli to fish using a barbaric and illegal method, has been banned from driving for 12 months as part of his sentence.

Vu Quang Tien pleaded guilty to an illegal fishing charge and also to a charge of obstruction of a Natural Resources Wales (NRW) Fisheries Enforcement Officer on 26 April at Swansea Magistrates Court.

Advertisement

Mr Tien and two other anglers were witnessed by NRW Fisheries Enforcement Officers deliberately using the illegal foul hooking method of fishing – also known as snatching – at the river Loughor on 15 August 2021. NRW officers attended the site after several reports of illegal fishing were made to NRW’s 24/7 incident call centre by concerned members of the community.

When approached and questioned by NRW officers, Mr Tien and his accomplices showed significant hostility and reluctance to share identification documents which eventually had to be extracted by use of reasonable force.

All of Mr Tien’s fishing tackle and fish, along with his associates’ fishing tackle was seized by NRW Officers at the time of the incident. The district judge on the day at Swansea Magistrates Court gave permission to NRW to confiscate these items permanently from each of them.

The District Judge disqualified Mr Tien from driving for 12 months due to seriousness of the incident, and the premeditated and deliberate action of travelling such a distance to commit the offence.

He was also ordered to pay a total of £2,334 in fines, NRW costs and a victim surcharge.

Advertisement

Mark Thomas, Fisheries Enforcement Officer for NRW, said: “We would like to again thank Dyfed Powys Police, the local communities and also the law-abiding anglers in the area for their continued support in reporting these illegal fishing activities.

“Foul hooking is a truly barbaric form of fishing carried out by a small minority of anglers in Wales, who have no regard for fish welfare.

“NRW and the Police take these incidents seriously as do the courts.

“Hopefully, the small minority of anglers who may in future, think of using any illegal fishing methods will take heed of the heavy fines and driving ban in this case issued by the courts.”

(Lead image: Natural Resources Wales)

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News