Neath Port Talbot Council will be carrying out more than £2m worth of work to help reduce the risk of flooding to local communities across the County Borough over the next 12 months.
All applications for Welsh Government funding under its Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Programme made by the council’s drainage team have now been accepted.
The funding includes more than £1m to construct a scheme to alleviate flood risks in Glynneath and more than £400,000 will be spent on another flood alleviation project at Varteg Road in Ystalyfera.
Nicola Pearce, Neath Port Talbot Council’s Director of Environment and Regeneration, said: “We are delighted all our proposed schemes have successfully been accepted for funding.
“This success is down to hard work from our teams in trying to ensure our infrastructure is fit for purpose and that improvements are delivered in areas which need it.
“Neath Port Talbot Council has also held discussions with residents at Canalside, Aberdulais, over identifying short term mitigation measures regarding flooding issues and will continue examining possible long term solutions to the problem with Natural Resources Wales, Welsh Water and the Welsh Government.”
The flood alleviation schemes for 2021/22 are:
Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Capital Programme:
• Caenant Terrace, Skewen, Business case development and detail design
• Cryddan Brook, Briton Ferry, Business case and design development
• Grandison Brook, Briton Ferry, Business case development and detail design
• Rock Street, Glynneath, Business case development and detail design
• Rock Street, Glynneath, Construction
• Varteg Road, Ystalyfera, Construction
Small Scale Works Programme (Design and Construction):
• Cryddan Brook, Briton Ferry, Intake Improvements
• Glan Hafren, Baglan, Flood Alleviation Scheme
• John Street, Resolven, Highway Drainage Improvements
• Mary Street, Seven Sisters, Drainage Improvement Scheme
Natural Flood Risk Management Programme
• Brynau and Preswylfa Natural Flood Management, Gnoll Catchment, scheme Design and Construction