blank
Connect with us

Carmarthenshire

Groups of up to 100 teens moved on from Bury Port coastal path as police deal with antisocial behaviour

Published

on

Groups of up to 100 teenagers have been moved on, and large amounts of alcohol seized, as police respond to concerns over antisocial behaviour near the coastal path in Burry Port.

Dyfed-Powys Police officers are using powers under the Antisocial Behaviour Act to disperse groups of youngsters meeting to drink alcohol in woodland and sand dunes off the path, many of whom had travelled to the area to meet up.

Plans had been put in place ahead of the Easter holidays as part of a joint operation with Carmarthenshire Council to deal with anticipated gatherings following the easing of travel restrictions – and in particular to target groups of young people meeting in Burry Port.

A Section 34 Order remains in place covering Burry Port and the coastal path from Pembrey Harbour to Pwll, and allows officers to move people out of the area and prevent them from returning for up to 48 hours.

Sergeant Gemma Davies said: “A number of calls have been received from residents in Burry Port who are concerned about the behaviour of large groups of young people in the town.

“Proactive action has been taken, with plans put in place to deal with such issues last weekend and into the bank holiday.

Advertisement

“Historically, gatherings of this kind in the area has resulted in antisocial behaviour and criminal damage, so we are putting additional resources in place to allow officers to respond swiftly and prevent matters from escalating.”

Llanelli Neighbourhood Policing Team, supported by response officers, are carrying out high visibility patrols along the coastal path, covering areas known to be popular with youngsters, and work is being carried out with Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service’s arson reduction team.

On Saturday night, around 50 teenagers spotted heading towards woodland were dispersed and advised to go home. Around 100 bottles of alcohol were seized from the youngsters, who were aged between 13 and 16.

On Tuesday night (30 March) officers were called to the harbour, where large groups had again gathered. Around 100 teenagers were sent home from the area between the harbour and the Shoreline caravan park, with large amounts of litter and alcohol bottles left behind, and damage caused by fires in the sand dunes.

Licensing checks are being carried out at shops in the area to remind them of the laws around selling alcohol.

Some of the alcohol seized (Image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Sgt Davies said: “We will continue to patrol the area and will not hesitate to disperse groups, sending the message that we will not tolerate antisocial behaviour of this kind.

“We would like to appeal directly to parents to be aware of where their children are, and what they are doing. This behaviour is distressing for people living in Burry Port, and we are urging you to be accountable for your children’s actions.

Advertisement

“We understand that the past few months have been difficult, and that children want to see their friends, but please do your best to ensure they are adhering to regulations that are in place for all our safety.”

Police are continuing to patrol the area (Image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Officers from Llanelli and Ammanford Neighbourhood Policing Teams carried out additional high visibility patrols in key tourist areas to ensure regulations were being adhered to despite the increased number of visitors as travel restrictions eased.

Visits were made with Carmarthenshire Council officers to 50 caravan and self-catering establishments across the county to ensure compliance with the new restrictions and offer advice to those who needed it.

For the latest restrictions on travel and socialising, visit www.gov.wales/coronavirus


Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ammanford

Man who filmed rape on Ammanford victim’s phone changes plea mid trial

Published

on

By

A man who filmed himself raping an Ammanford woman on his victim’s phone has changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial.

Cameron Hassan, aged 31, of no fixed abode, attacked the woman, raping her as she slept on 21 August 2021.

Advertisement

Hassan had been on trial at Swansea Crown Court after denying any wrongdoing. However, after the jury was shown the video of the attack and hearing the victim was going to give evidence yesterday (Tuesday, 10 May), Hassan changed his plea to guilty.

Investigating Officer DC Sophie Lambert from Dyfed Powys Police said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation.

“I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation,” she said.

“We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims.

“If you are suffering because of similar abuse, please contact the police, or if you would rather speak to someone in confidence, New Pathways are an independent charity that will support you through every step of the investigation.”

Advertisement

New Pathways can be contacted at 01685 379 310 or email enquiries@newpathways.org.uk

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading

Carmarthenshire

Women’s Tour of Britain returns to Carmarthenshire

Published

on

By

The countdown is on before the world’s top women riders will race through Carmarthenshire as part of the Women’s Tour of Britain.

Some 108 cyclists will race through the County to the finishing line on top of the Black Mountain between Llangadog and Brynamman as part of the stage five event on Friday, June 10.

Advertisement

The route will be starting from Pembrey Country Park at 10.45am and riders competing for the title will go through Pinged, Carway, Pontyberem, Horeb, Llansawel, and Llangadog.

A rolling road closure will take place along the 65-mile route which will come into action at 10.45am until 1.50pm.

Roads will be re-opened once the cyclists have passed through. A full road closure will be in place over the Black Mountain from 5am-5pm.

The event will be broadcast on ITV4 and across Europe with a helicopter camera crew following the race.

The Women’s Tour departs on Monday, June 6, and coincides with the final day of a four-day Bank Holiday weekend in the UK to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee. The race will culminate with a prestigious finale six days later on Saturday, June 11.

Advertisement

Pembrey Country Park previously hosted the Grand Départ of the men’s Tour of Britain as well as the overall finish of the Women’s Tour in 2019.

Carmarthenshire County Council’s Chief Executive, Wendy Walters said: “We are thrilled that we have again been chosen to host this top cycling event. Previous years have brought an immediate economic boost to the tourism sector as well as providing a great deal of positive media coverage.”

(Lead image: Carmarthenshire Council)

Continue Reading

Dyfed Powys Police

Man banned from driving for 12 months for fishing offence

Published

on

By

A man from Merthyr Tydfil who travelled to the River Loughor, near Llanelli to fish using a barbaric and illegal method, has been banned from driving for 12 months as part of his sentence.

Vu Quang Tien pleaded guilty to an illegal fishing charge and also to a charge of obstruction of a Natural Resources Wales (NRW) Fisheries Enforcement Officer on 26 April at Swansea Magistrates Court.

Advertisement

Mr Tien and two other anglers were witnessed by NRW Fisheries Enforcement Officers deliberately using the illegal foul hooking method of fishing – also known as snatching – at the river Loughor on 15 August 2021. NRW officers attended the site after several reports of illegal fishing were made to NRW’s 24/7 incident call centre by concerned members of the community.

When approached and questioned by NRW officers, Mr Tien and his accomplices showed significant hostility and reluctance to share identification documents which eventually had to be extracted by use of reasonable force.

All of Mr Tien’s fishing tackle and fish, along with his associates’ fishing tackle was seized by NRW Officers at the time of the incident. The district judge on the day at Swansea Magistrates Court gave permission to NRW to confiscate these items permanently from each of them.

The District Judge disqualified Mr Tien from driving for 12 months due to seriousness of the incident, and the premeditated and deliberate action of travelling such a distance to commit the offence.

He was also ordered to pay a total of £2,334 in fines, NRW costs and a victim surcharge.

Advertisement

Mark Thomas, Fisheries Enforcement Officer for NRW, said: “We would like to again thank Dyfed Powys Police, the local communities and also the law-abiding anglers in the area for their continued support in reporting these illegal fishing activities.

“Foul hooking is a truly barbaric form of fishing carried out by a small minority of anglers in Wales, who have no regard for fish welfare.

“NRW and the Police take these incidents seriously as do the courts.

“Hopefully, the small minority of anglers who may in future, think of using any illegal fishing methods will take heed of the heavy fines and driving ban in this case issued by the courts.”

(Lead image: Natural Resources Wales)

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News