blank
Connect with us

Carmarthenshire

Arrests made during police operation to combat antisocial driving in Llanelli

Published

on

Police arrested two people and stopped cars speeding at more than twice the limit in Llanelli during an operation to combat antisocial driving.

Dyfed-Powys Police’s Carmarthenshire Roads Policing Unit led a multi-agency operation between Machynys and North Dock on Friday night (28 May) following an increase in reports of drivers racing in the area and gathering in the car park.

Six people were caught speeding in two-and-a-half hours, with the top speed recorded at 88mph in a 40mph zone.

Two people were also arrested – one on suspicion of drug driving and another who was wanted.

Sergeant Richard Lucas said: “The aim of the operation was to control the number of people driving antisocially along the coastal road between Machynys and North Dock, and at North Dock itself.

“This behaviour has become a concern for people living in the area, and is something we wanted to take firm action to stop.

Advertisement

“Throughout the evening, engagement took place between officers and car enthusiasts, focussing on the dangers and consequences of antisocial driving and speeding.

“We stopped a number of cars, issued 19 warnings and seized one vehicle.”

Advertisement

Officers were joined by the DVSA, DVLA, Go Safe and Neighbourhood Policing Teams, with speed, tax and insurance checks carried out in offending hotspots.

Police say that while the overall aim was to educate drivers on the risks of speeding or driving unroadworthy vehicles, enforcement was also necessary.

Advertisement

Two arrests were made – one for drug driving and one for a wanted person. Six people were caught speeding

There were four immediate prohibitions for overloaded or dangerous vehicles, and five delayed prohibitions.

Eight traffic offence reports (TOR) were issued to drivers with no insurance, no MOT, speeding or using a phone behind the wheel. One TOR was for a vehicle being in a dangerous condition. One TOR was for an insurance offence. One car was seized.

Advertisement

This was the second operation of its kind run along the coastal road over the past few weeks, and officers say they will continue to monitor the situation.

Advertisement

Sgt Lucas said: “The operation ran for approximately two-and-a-half hours during the peak demand times in that area, and was very successful.

“It was an excellent example of multi-agency working to address concerns raised by the community.

“This is the time of year we traditionally see a huge amount of traffic on our roads, and sadly the number of serious collisions we attend also goes up. Of course we want to avoid this, so any level of engagement and education we can provide is a positive.”


Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ammanford

Man who filmed rape on Ammanford victim’s phone changes plea mid trial

Published

on

By

A man who filmed himself raping an Ammanford woman on his victim’s phone has changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial.

Cameron Hassan, aged 31, of no fixed abode, attacked the woman, raping her as she slept on 21 August 2021.

Advertisement

Hassan had been on trial at Swansea Crown Court after denying any wrongdoing. However, after the jury was shown the video of the attack and hearing the victim was going to give evidence yesterday (Tuesday, 10 May), Hassan changed his plea to guilty.

Investigating Officer DC Sophie Lambert from Dyfed Powys Police said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation.

“I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation,” she said.

“We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims.

“If you are suffering because of similar abuse, please contact the police, or if you would rather speak to someone in confidence, New Pathways are an independent charity that will support you through every step of the investigation.”

Advertisement

New Pathways can be contacted at 01685 379 310 or email enquiries@newpathways.org.uk

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading

Carmarthenshire

Women’s Tour of Britain returns to Carmarthenshire

Published

on

By

The countdown is on before the world’s top women riders will race through Carmarthenshire as part of the Women’s Tour of Britain.

Some 108 cyclists will race through the County to the finishing line on top of the Black Mountain between Llangadog and Brynamman as part of the stage five event on Friday, June 10.

Advertisement

The route will be starting from Pembrey Country Park at 10.45am and riders competing for the title will go through Pinged, Carway, Pontyberem, Horeb, Llansawel, and Llangadog.

A rolling road closure will take place along the 65-mile route which will come into action at 10.45am until 1.50pm.

Roads will be re-opened once the cyclists have passed through. A full road closure will be in place over the Black Mountain from 5am-5pm.

The event will be broadcast on ITV4 and across Europe with a helicopter camera crew following the race.

The Women’s Tour departs on Monday, June 6, and coincides with the final day of a four-day Bank Holiday weekend in the UK to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee. The race will culminate with a prestigious finale six days later on Saturday, June 11.

Advertisement

Pembrey Country Park previously hosted the Grand Départ of the men’s Tour of Britain as well as the overall finish of the Women’s Tour in 2019.

Carmarthenshire County Council’s Chief Executive, Wendy Walters said: “We are thrilled that we have again been chosen to host this top cycling event. Previous years have brought an immediate economic boost to the tourism sector as well as providing a great deal of positive media coverage.”

(Lead image: Carmarthenshire Council)

Continue Reading

Dyfed Powys Police

Man banned from driving for 12 months for fishing offence

Published

on

By

A man from Merthyr Tydfil who travelled to the River Loughor, near Llanelli to fish using a barbaric and illegal method, has been banned from driving for 12 months as part of his sentence.

Vu Quang Tien pleaded guilty to an illegal fishing charge and also to a charge of obstruction of a Natural Resources Wales (NRW) Fisheries Enforcement Officer on 26 April at Swansea Magistrates Court.

Advertisement

Mr Tien and two other anglers were witnessed by NRW Fisheries Enforcement Officers deliberately using the illegal foul hooking method of fishing – also known as snatching – at the river Loughor on 15 August 2021. NRW officers attended the site after several reports of illegal fishing were made to NRW’s 24/7 incident call centre by concerned members of the community.

When approached and questioned by NRW officers, Mr Tien and his accomplices showed significant hostility and reluctance to share identification documents which eventually had to be extracted by use of reasonable force.

All of Mr Tien’s fishing tackle and fish, along with his associates’ fishing tackle was seized by NRW Officers at the time of the incident. The district judge on the day at Swansea Magistrates Court gave permission to NRW to confiscate these items permanently from each of them.

The District Judge disqualified Mr Tien from driving for 12 months due to seriousness of the incident, and the premeditated and deliberate action of travelling such a distance to commit the offence.

He was also ordered to pay a total of £2,334 in fines, NRW costs and a victim surcharge.

Advertisement

Mark Thomas, Fisheries Enforcement Officer for NRW, said: “We would like to again thank Dyfed Powys Police, the local communities and also the law-abiding anglers in the area for their continued support in reporting these illegal fishing activities.

“Foul hooking is a truly barbaric form of fishing carried out by a small minority of anglers in Wales, who have no regard for fish welfare.

“NRW and the Police take these incidents seriously as do the courts.

“Hopefully, the small minority of anglers who may in future, think of using any illegal fishing methods will take heed of the heavy fines and driving ban in this case issued by the courts.”

(Lead image: Natural Resources Wales)

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News