Wales and West Utilities

Utility company urges residents to get gas appliances safety checked before Winter

Wales & West Utilities is urging people to act and carry out a home gas audit to make sure their gas appliances are working properly ahead of the coming winter months.

The call comes from the gas emergency and pipeline service during Gas Safety Week 2021 (13-19 September) and following simple gas safety steps will help make sure the 7.5million people the company serves across Wales and south west of England are kept safe and warm this winter.

Gas Safety Week is now into its second decade of keeping people safe and this year has an ongoing focus on keeping communities’ gas safe, as well as advising on topics such as illegal gas fitters.

With badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances able to cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, there are some simple steps to follow, whether you own or rent your home.

  • Save the National Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999 in your phone and call it immediately if you smell gas or suspect CO.
  • Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home, ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and condensation in the room.
  • Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
  • Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Wales & West Utilities Head of Emergency Service, Clive Book, said: “Gas Safety Week is a timely reminder to homeowners and tenants to make sure they know how to stay gas safe ahead of the winter months.

“Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. We urge everyone to look at their appliances before the winter sets in, when more and more people start to use their gas central heating.

“In the past 18 months or so we have seen communities come together to support one another. Through taking these simple steps and sharing information with family, friends and neighbours, we can save lives.”

(Lead image: Wales & West Utilities)

Leave a Reply