blank
Connect with us

Carmarthenshire

Work and career opportunities up for grabs at Carmarthenshire jobs fair

Published

on

man and woman near table

A jobs fair is being held to help people looking for work secure opportunities in key business sectors that are urgently looking for staff.

The South West Wales Regional Learning and Skills Partnership is hosting the fair in association with Communities for Work and Workways to support businesses in the transport and logistics, hospitality and health and social care sectors – all of which currently have a number of job openings.

People will have the opportunity to speak face to face with industry representatives and receive support to apply for positions with employers including Carmarthenshire County Council’s social care, catering and cleansing teams, private care providers Paddacare and Swanton Care along with Carers Trust Crossroads; Castell Howell Foods, Owens Transport, TRJ Ltd and Army Reserves.

Job seekers are encouraged to call in between 10am and 2pm at the former Topshop in St Catherine’s Walk, Carmarthen, on Wednesday September 22; at Stepney Street, Llanelli, on Thursday September 23, and at Quay Street, Ammanford, on Friday September 24.

Edward Morgan, Chair of the Regional Learning and Skills Partnership, said: “This is an opportunity for anyone looking for work or considering a career change to speak to the people who have a variety of vacancies to find out about what they have on offer to potential employees.

“All of the business sectors available at the fairs have immediate vacancies to fill – we want to help match people with the right skills and ambitions to the right jobs.

Advertisement

“We are working with the Department for Work and Pensions as well as Communities for Work and Workways to support people through the application process and any training that may be required for certain positions.”

Advertisement

Cllr Emlyn Dole, Leader of Carmarthenshire County Council and Cabinet Member for Regeneration, added: “Supporting businesses to recover in light of the Covid pandemic and Brexit, and supporting people to find sustainable employment, are key priorities for the council as part of our economic recovery plan.

“There are certain sectors that are struggling to recruit people at the moment and we are doing everything we can to support them – that includes our own teams within the council, especially the care, catering and cleansing teams where we need more people to join our team.

“This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking for work, a change of direction, of just starting their career journey. We hope it is well attended and helps bring job seekers and recruiters together.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ammanford

Man who filmed rape on Ammanford victim’s phone changes plea mid trial

Published

on

By

A man who filmed himself raping an Ammanford woman on his victim’s phone has changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial.

Cameron Hassan, aged 31, of no fixed abode, attacked the woman, raping her as she slept on 21 August 2021.

Advertisement

Hassan had been on trial at Swansea Crown Court after denying any wrongdoing. However, after the jury was shown the video of the attack and hearing the victim was going to give evidence yesterday (Tuesday, 10 May), Hassan changed his plea to guilty.

Investigating Officer DC Sophie Lambert from Dyfed Powys Police said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation.

“I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation,” she said.

“We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims.

“If you are suffering because of similar abuse, please contact the police, or if you would rather speak to someone in confidence, New Pathways are an independent charity that will support you through every step of the investigation.”

Advertisement

New Pathways can be contacted at 01685 379 310 or email enquiries@newpathways.org.uk

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading

Carmarthenshire

Women’s Tour of Britain returns to Carmarthenshire

Published

on

By

The countdown is on before the world’s top women riders will race through Carmarthenshire as part of the Women’s Tour of Britain.

Some 108 cyclists will race through the County to the finishing line on top of the Black Mountain between Llangadog and Brynamman as part of the stage five event on Friday, June 10.

Advertisement

The route will be starting from Pembrey Country Park at 10.45am and riders competing for the title will go through Pinged, Carway, Pontyberem, Horeb, Llansawel, and Llangadog.

A rolling road closure will take place along the 65-mile route which will come into action at 10.45am until 1.50pm.

Roads will be re-opened once the cyclists have passed through. A full road closure will be in place over the Black Mountain from 5am-5pm.

The event will be broadcast on ITV4 and across Europe with a helicopter camera crew following the race.

The Women’s Tour departs on Monday, June 6, and coincides with the final day of a four-day Bank Holiday weekend in the UK to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee. The race will culminate with a prestigious finale six days later on Saturday, June 11.

Advertisement

Pembrey Country Park previously hosted the Grand Départ of the men’s Tour of Britain as well as the overall finish of the Women’s Tour in 2019.

Carmarthenshire County Council’s Chief Executive, Wendy Walters said: “We are thrilled that we have again been chosen to host this top cycling event. Previous years have brought an immediate economic boost to the tourism sector as well as providing a great deal of positive media coverage.”

(Lead image: Carmarthenshire Council)

Continue Reading

Dyfed Powys Police

Man banned from driving for 12 months for fishing offence

Published

on

By

A man from Merthyr Tydfil who travelled to the River Loughor, near Llanelli to fish using a barbaric and illegal method, has been banned from driving for 12 months as part of his sentence.

Vu Quang Tien pleaded guilty to an illegal fishing charge and also to a charge of obstruction of a Natural Resources Wales (NRW) Fisheries Enforcement Officer on 26 April at Swansea Magistrates Court.

Advertisement

Mr Tien and two other anglers were witnessed by NRW Fisheries Enforcement Officers deliberately using the illegal foul hooking method of fishing – also known as snatching – at the river Loughor on 15 August 2021. NRW officers attended the site after several reports of illegal fishing were made to NRW’s 24/7 incident call centre by concerned members of the community.

When approached and questioned by NRW officers, Mr Tien and his accomplices showed significant hostility and reluctance to share identification documents which eventually had to be extracted by use of reasonable force.

All of Mr Tien’s fishing tackle and fish, along with his associates’ fishing tackle was seized by NRW Officers at the time of the incident. The district judge on the day at Swansea Magistrates Court gave permission to NRW to confiscate these items permanently from each of them.

The District Judge disqualified Mr Tien from driving for 12 months due to seriousness of the incident, and the premeditated and deliberate action of travelling such a distance to commit the offence.

He was also ordered to pay a total of £2,334 in fines, NRW costs and a victim surcharge.

Advertisement

Mark Thomas, Fisheries Enforcement Officer for NRW, said: “We would like to again thank Dyfed Powys Police, the local communities and also the law-abiding anglers in the area for their continued support in reporting these illegal fishing activities.

“Foul hooking is a truly barbaric form of fishing carried out by a small minority of anglers in Wales, who have no regard for fish welfare.

“NRW and the Police take these incidents seriously as do the courts.

“Hopefully, the small minority of anglers who may in future, think of using any illegal fishing methods will take heed of the heavy fines and driving ban in this case issued by the courts.”

(Lead image: Natural Resources Wales)

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News