blank
Connect with us

Carmarthenshire

Age Cymru Dyfed veterans project wins prestigious award

Published

on

Age Cymru Dyfed has been awarded for its pioneering West Wales Veteran Archive, which helps veterans from Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion share their stories.

The West Wales Veteran Archive, supported by a grant from the Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust and run by Age Cymru Dyfed, was awarded the Contribution to Wellbeing Award at the 2021 Community Archives and Heritage Group (CAHG) awards. CAHG is part of the Archives and Records Association of UK and Ireland, and the wellbeing category looks at projects or activities which have been proven to have beneficial impacts on the physical, mental and social wellbeing of individuals and communities.

Advertisement

The Archive features written accounts, oral histories and photographs documenting veterans’ experiences as well as artwork and poetry created by them. In addition to helping veterans to feel heard and valued, the project has enabled Age Cymru Dyfed to reach out to older people in the community who might benefit from the charity’s wider range of services.  

Hugh Morgan OBE, Veterans Coordinator at Age Cymru Dyfed, said: “Age Cymru Dyfed is delighted to receive this national recognition from CAHG. The West Wales Veterans Archive has become an increasingly powerful source of veterans’ memories, providing enormous satisfaction to those veterans and their families who have shared their experiences, often for the first time. The archive has also established a legacy which will inform decades of future generation.

“Creating and sustaining the Archive during the pandemic has been a real challenge but Age Cymru Dyfed and our partners have succeeded in delivering the project, while supporting and enhancing veterans’ wellbeing. We’re particularly grateful for the support of the People’s Collection Wales in the National Library of Wales, the Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust and the Armed Forces Covenant in Wales, as well as the generosity of the veterans themselves in unearthing memories and experiences from the past.”

Pembrokeshire-born Dennis Tidswell, World War Two veteran and archive contributor, said: “I didn’t realise that there were so few WW2 veterans like me still alive. Up until now, only a few of us have spoken about our wartime experiences. It’s wonderful to see that the present generation appreciates our efforts, and I am grateful to Age Cymru Dyfed for the opportunity to share and reflect on my own experiences in the military with my peers, my local community and those further afield.”

If veterans aged 50+ and living in West Wales wish to share their experiences in the military service with the Archive, they can contact Hugh at hugh.morgan@agecymrudyfed.org.uk or telephone 03333 447 874.

Advertisement

Lead image: Dennis Tidswell and a guest at an Anniversary D-Day event in Aberporth earlier this year

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Books & Literature

Former Llanelli rugby star hopes to be victorious at The Oval

Published

on

By

After enjoying his fair share of success as a rugby player and team manager Anthony Buchanan now hopes to win big as an author.

The former Llanelli and Wales star has been shortlisted for The Sunday Times Rugby Book of the Year 2022 award following the publication of his biography, The Buck Props Here.

Advertisement

His unique rugby journey didn’t begin until the age of 22, when he chose to turn his back on a highly promising career in football as a goalkeeper, but led to playing for Llanelli and representing Wales in the inaugural Rugby World Cup in 1987.

On retirement he became an administrator and helped transform the Scarlets into a European powerhouse before serving on the International Rugby Board and overseeing the selection of referees at the last Rugby World Cup.

His story has been ghost written by former Evening Post reporter, Geraint Thomas, who notches up a unique hat trick of nominations having previously been shortlisted – in what is seen as the Oscars of sports books – after ghost writing Glenn Webbe: The Gloves Are Off (2020) the biography of the former Bridgend and Wales wing, and Terry Davies: Wales’s First Superstar Fullback (2017) alongside the former Llanelli, Wales and Lions star.

Former Evening Post reporter, Geraint Thomas who has ghostwritten Anthony’s biography

The pair, who are up against former Wales centre Jamie Roberts, Irish stars Keith Earls and Willie Anderson, as well as This is Your Everest: The Lions, The Springboks and the Epic Tour of 1997, and The Flying Prince: Alexander Obolensky, will attend a gala dinner in The Oval cricket ground London on Thursday to find out if they have won.

There will be further Welsh representation on the evening with Alun Wyn Jones on the shortlist for Autobiography of the Year 2022.

Buchanan, who is donating his share of the book’s royalties to securing the rugby pitch in Ystradgynlais for future generations, said: “I feel humbled to be in the running for the best rugby book in Great Britain and Ireland, but my story is not just about an individual, it encompasses the momentous shift in Welsh rugby, from the old amateur days to the introduction of European rugby, professionalism and the regions.

Advertisement

“I would like to thank Geraint Thomas for encouraging me to tell my story in the first place and for weaving all that has happened into such a compelling narrative. He’s done such a wonderful job. So many people, who have read it, have contacted me to say how much they enjoyed it – and they weren’t all Scarlets supporters!”

Thomas, who trained as a magazine journalist in Cardiff University’s School of Journalism and went on to complete an MA in Creative and Media Writing at Swansea University, said: “To be shortlisted for a third time obviously feels great and, I guess, is quite an achievement, not just for me but also my publisher Y Lolfa, who have always shown faith in me.”

Thomas, who had a spell playing for Bridgend in the early 1990s, added: “It helped that I played in the same era as Bucks and have a good knowledge of the Welsh rugby landscape. But what really makes the book so enjoyable is the how Buck has recalled the banter and humour which used to be the real reason we played the game.

“People ask me which is my favourite book, but, to be honest, I really enjoyed working on all three. Writing a book is a bit like having children only the hard work comes first and then you experience the pleasure of seeing them enter the world – and if they are popular that’s even better!”

The Sunday Times Book Awards take place on Thursday 27 May 2022

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Burry Port

New car parking for Burry Port Harbour

Published

on

By

Carmarthenshire Council have announced plans to improve car parking at Burry Port Harbour.

The council say the move will see underused land transformed into an additional accessible parking zone with around 100 plus spaces on the East side of the harbour, with existing surfaces and spaces also upgraded.

Advertisement

Disabled parking bays will be given prime location with panoramic views and there will be charging facilities for E-bikes which will enhance cycling and environmental provision.

Motorhomes will also have access to some bays during the day, around the Harbour area, with plans and funding bids for a bespoke developments along the wider coastline also in the pipeline.

The car park will have a new sustainable drainage system with upgraded surface dressing which will enable all year around usage.

The project is jointly funded by the council and Welsh Government’s Brilliant Basic scheme.

Carmarthenshire County Council Head of Leisure, Ian Jones said: “Currently the surface area of the car park to the East of the Harbour is loose gravel that is easily potholed and flooded regularly, so this improvement will offer a more modern, sustainable and attractive car park for our visitors to enjoy. It will also complement the existing car parks in the harbour and along the Carmarthenshire coastline.”

Advertisement

The council say this is the latest in a long line of investments totalling £2m to maintain and restore the historic harbour and one of the county’s most loved and well visited beauty spots.

Restoration of the Grade II listed harbour walls has been undertaken and completed under the guidance of CADW.

Carmarthenshire Council add this investment compliments funding made over previous years which saw the council invest in new pontoons, along with maintenance and upgrades to the harbour railings and bridge.

A local operator has taken over the lease and opened a cafe and public toilets on the east side of Harbour, and the refurbishment of the old RNLI harbour office has started by The Marine Group (TMG) to create a harbour-side coffee house.

New pay and display facilities have been installed to support parking control ahead of a wider multi-million regeneration plan that will transform the harbour with a mix of housing, commercial and leisure space covering around 13 acres of prime development site.

Advertisement

Welsh Government Economy Minister, Vaughan Gething, said:“We are very aware of the important part that local tourism amenities have on someone’s overall experience when on a day trip or on holiday.

“These facilities often go unnoticed, but they are an important part of people’s experiences when they visit Wales, while also benefit those who live in the area. The £2.9m in new funding for the Brilliant Basics fund will go to projects which will help us make our destinations more accessible and more sustainable, and to grow tourism for the good of Wales.”

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading

Ammanford

Man who filmed rape on Ammanford victim’s phone changes plea mid trial

Published

on

By

A man who filmed himself raping an Ammanford woman on his victim’s phone has changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial.

Cameron Hassan, aged 31, of no fixed abode, attacked the woman, raping her as she slept on 21 August 2021.

Advertisement

Hassan had been on trial at Swansea Crown Court after denying any wrongdoing. However, after the jury was shown the video of the attack and hearing the victim was going to give evidence yesterday (Tuesday, 10 May), Hassan changed his plea to guilty.

Investigating Officer DC Sophie Lambert from Dyfed Powys Police said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation.

“I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation,” she said.

“We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims.

“If you are suffering because of similar abuse, please contact the police, or if you would rather speak to someone in confidence, New Pathways are an independent charity that will support you through every step of the investigation.”

Advertisement

New Pathways can be contacted at 01685 379 310 or email enquiries@newpathways.org.uk

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News