Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service’s Community Safety Team are urging those with fuel burning appliances, fires, and stoves in the community to install working Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors following a lucky escape by a Milford Haven resident after a ‘Safe & Well’ visit by the Fire and Rescue Service.
On-Call Firefighters Neil Phillips and Huw Davies who are currently assisting the Community Safety Team with safe and well visits attended a property of a resident in Milford Haven, following a referral from the Pembrokeshire Community Alarm Service.
The Pembrokeshire community alarm service is an emergency telephone service with special features to suit the visually impaired, hard of hearing and people with mobility and other disabilities.
During the visit, the firefighters fitted a Carbon Monoxide detector, that was linked to the community alarms system, after noting that there was a gas fire appliance within the property.
Later that same day, Milford Haven Fire Station were called to the property after the CO detector started to sound and automatically dialled out to the alarm system. Crews established that there was a problem with the gas fire within the property and safeguarded the resident by working with their utilities company to isolate the fireplace.
Will Stephenson, Crew Manager for Community Safety in Pembrokeshire added: “Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and this incident is a clear example of. how important carbon monoxide detectors are in the home. The team were relieved that they were able to avert a potential tragedy this time and we urge others to consider the risks associated with fuel burning appliances.
“This incident also emphasises the importance of working collaboratively with our partner agencies in our communities, as without that referral the consequences could have been much worse, and also the importance of our retained firefighters carrying out ‘Safe and Well’ visits.”
Carbon Monoxide is produced when certain fuels are not properly burnt. This includes gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood. Carbon Monoxide can also seep into properties via shared flues or chimneys and can even permeate through brick walls and plaster.
Karen Jones, Head of Community Safety for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service added: “Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, no taste or smell. Fuel burning appliances such as stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters can produce carbon monoxide if they are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained, or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
“It is vital that those with such appliances ensure that they are serviced regularly, flues are kept clear, homes are well ventilated and working carbon monoxide detectors are installed in the correct areas of the home and that they are also regularly tested.”
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service have provided further information on what you can do to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning on their website.
A ‘Safe & Well’ check can be completed by the Fire and Rescue Service by calling 0800 169 1234 or via their website referral form.
Lead image: Neil and Huw at MAWWFRS Pembrokeshire Community Safety Team
HSBC to shut Port Talbot and Tenby bank branches in latest round of closures
Rob Page: ‘We must now look to the future’
Port Talbot grandfather jailed for running massive cannabis ring
BHF funding offers hope for inherited cardiac conditions patients
Sarah Millican is bringing her latest comedy tour to Swansea
Pembrokeshire CBD Centre becomes UK’s first High Street CBD store partnered with medical cannabis clinic
Llanmoor Homes secures planning for 280 acre new ‘Pentref Rhostir’ community near Llangyfelach
Court grants police further extension to question three people on Bridgend baby deaths
Inspirational sporting achievements recognised in Pembrokeshire awards
New survey reveals money-draining culprit affects more than 50% of British households
Free bus travel returns to Swansea for Christmas
Date set for Llanelli Christmas Carnival and lights switch-on
Street pianos to bring music and colour to Swansea’s streets
Four Pembrokeshire women to take on ‘world’s toughest row’
Brynhyfryd pub gets brand new look in time to celebrate World Cup
UWTSD to host Cerebra families during Swansea Christmas Parade
Gavin & Stacey star Ruth Jones says getting honorary doctorate from Open University was ‘tidy, lush and crackin’
Swansea set to host football World Cup Fan Park
Swansea Christmas Parade: What you need to know for this Sunday’s event
New video teaches people how to sing ‘Yma o Hyd’ – with a bitesize history of Wales and the Welsh language
Pontardawe2 days ago
Pontardawe Swimming Pool to close due to structural issues
Business6 days ago
Carmarthenshire logistics company celebrates 50th anniversary by holding a family fun day in aid of Wales Air Ambulance
Swansea2 days ago
Swansea’s Skyline project moves a step closer with site investigation
Photography7 days ago
Swansea man wins Historic Photographer of the Year competition
Education6 days ago
FIVE new schools could be coming to Neath Port Talbot
Business7 days ago
International consortium on board to deliver Swansea renewable energy project
Swansea7 days ago
Swansea now third busiest train station in Wales – but overall ridership down on pre-pandemic levels
Food & Drink6 days ago
World Cup fans are swapping traditional burgers and sausages for Christmas party food as they stock up for the tournament