blank
Connect with us

Dyfed Powys Police

Man jailed after being found in cannabis factory with £232k-worth of plants

Published

on

A man has been jailed for two years after he was found in a house converted into a sophisticated cannabis factory containing 249 plants.

Elton Haizi, aged 25, of no fixed abode, was found inside the property in Highmead Avenue, Llanelli, when police executed a warrant there on 13 December 2021.

Advertisement

Arrested at the scene where officers found plants with a potential street value of £232,400, the Albanian national initially tried to claim he was forced to be there.

However, extensive work by officers from Dyfed-Powys Police’s Carmarthenshire Priority Policing Team (PPT) and Digital Communications and Cybercrime Unit (DCCU), showed this was not the case and that he was linked to an organised crime group (OCG) involved in the cultivation and distribution of cannabis.

The cannabis factory discovered at the Llanelli property (Image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Senior investigator DI Rhys Jones said of the raid: “Every room in the property had been converted into a professional and sophisticated cannabis factory.

“The house had 250 mature, high quality plants inside, so this was good early disruption of the OCG following excellent work from officers to identify and develop the intelligence, and from the PPT, which has resulted in a result following a significant volume of cannabis being recovered.

“Hazizi initially claimed he was forced or coerced to work in the factory. However, excellent work from our investigators and the DCCU recovered mobile phone work to the contrary.

Based on this Hazizi pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two years in custody.

Advertisement

“This was an excellent, early disruption of a cannabis factory linked to subjects from the Western Balkans region that are having a major impact both locally and nationally.”

Hazizi was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on Tuesday, 1 February.

(Lead image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Dyfed Powys Police

Pembroke Dock knife-point robber jailed for five years

Published

on

By

A man who robbed a woman at knifepoint has started a five-year prison sentence just one month later.

Kieran Steven Brumby admitted holding a knife to the woman’s throat and demanding the £160 she was withdrawing from a cashpoint at Asda in Pembroke Dock at around 7.45pm on April 15.

Advertisement

Within an hour Dyfed-Powys Police were able to track down Brumby at his home in Water Street, Pembroke Dock.

Despite the incident being captured on CCTV, Brumby denied it was him during the police investigation.

However, at Swansea Crown Court on Monday, May 16, he pleaded guilty robbery, possession of a knife and possession of 0.9 grammes of cocaine.

DI Owen Thomas said: “This is a positive outcome, with Brumby arrested soon after the offence.

“He has been on remand since and is now beginning a five-year prison sentence just a month later, which I hope offers some solace and reassurance to the victim.”

Advertisement

The court heard how the woman had stopped to get cash on her way to meet friends in Haverfordwest when Brumby held the knife to her throat and said ‘give me the money’.

In a victim impact statement read out to the court the woman, who could feel the knife touching her throat, said that she was suffering from sleepless nights, palpitations and nightmares.

“I feel depressed and anxious and constantly feel like somebody is behind me,” she said.

“I am checking over my shoulder every five minutes. If I leave the house feelings of panic rise.”

Judge His Honour Geraint Walters handed down a five-year sentence for the robbery, with a 12-month sentence for possession of the knife and a one-month sentence for cocaine possession to run concurrently.

Advertisement

(Lead image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Continue Reading

Dyfed Powys Police

Driver jailed for head-on crash that caused life-changing injuries

Published

on

By

A driver who caused a head-on collision with a car being driven by a pregnant woman told police officers at the scene he had drunk 13 cans of strong lager the night before.

Rhodri Rees, aged 36, of Llandysul, admitted his drinking had gone into the early hours before he got behind the wheel and caused the crash on the A476 in Llannon, near Llanelli, by overtaking another car on a bend at around 7.40am on December 11, 2020.

Advertisement

The severe impact meant both drivers were trapped in their cars and had to be cut free by firefighters.

Thankfully the baby was unharmed in the collision, however, its mother suffered serious, life-changing injuries. She had a number of operations to repair the damage and was unable to walk for a year and still suffers the effects of the accident today.

Dyfed-Powys Police Sgt Nicholas Brookes said: “When Rees was spoken to by our officers at the scene he told them he had drunk 13 cans of Stella Artois and that he had gone to bed after midnight.

“He failed a breath test at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of drink driving before being allowed to go to hospital for treatment.”

The following day he was interviewed at Carmarthen Police Station where he told officers he had consumed eight or nine cans of Foster’s before going to bed around 2am, before getting up at around 6.45am and setting off.

Advertisement

A sample of blood was taken just before 1pm on December 11 showed Rees had 39mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood – the legal limit being 80. A blood alcohol expert had calculated that at the time of the collision the level of alcohol would have been no less than 113mg and more likely 129mg.

PS Brookes added: “This was a serious case that could have been so much worse.

“Rees admitted drinking a considerable amount of alcohol and getting little sleep before getting behind the wheel. He was lucky no-one was killed.

“I would like to commend the officer in the case, PC Benjamin Stevenson, who conducted a thorough and meticulous investigation for the offence of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.”

On Tuesday, 17th May, Rees appeared before Swansea Crown Court, having pleaded guilty at a previous hearing, and was sentenced to 18-months in prison.

Advertisement

He was also disqualified from driving for three years and 9 months, with a requirement for an extended test to regain his license.

(Lead image: Geograph)

Continue Reading

Ammanford

Man who filmed rape on Ammanford victim’s phone changes plea mid trial

Published

on

By

A man who filmed himself raping an Ammanford woman on his victim’s phone has changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial.

Cameron Hassan, aged 31, of no fixed abode, attacked the woman, raping her as she slept on 21 August 2021.

Advertisement

Hassan had been on trial at Swansea Crown Court after denying any wrongdoing. However, after the jury was shown the video of the attack and hearing the victim was going to give evidence yesterday (Tuesday, 10 May), Hassan changed his plea to guilty.

Investigating Officer DC Sophie Lambert from Dyfed Powys Police said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation.

“I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation,” she said.

“We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims.

“If you are suffering because of similar abuse, please contact the police, or if you would rather speak to someone in confidence, New Pathways are an independent charity that will support you through every step of the investigation.”

Advertisement

New Pathways can be contacted at 01685 379 310 or email enquiries@newpathways.org.uk

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News