blank
Connect with us

Dyfed Powys Police

Abusive man pointed knife at partner’s throat and threatened to kill her

Published

on

A controlling boyfriend who pointed a knife at his partner’s throat and threatened to kill her in front of two teenage girls has been jailed for 33 months.

Elliot Kershaw, aged 43, of Wesley Court, Warren Street, Tenby, initially denied all offences, but at Swansea Crown Court on Monday, 25 April, he pleaded guilty to affray and ABH.

Advertisement

Dyfed-Powys Police were called to Trafalgar Road, Tenby on 21st October 2020, following a dropped 999 call by a woman with sounds of a disturbance in the background.

When officers arrived, they spoke with the victim, her daughter and her daughter’s friend, who had been left shaken by the experience.

It was established that following an argument Kershaw made threats in the presence of the teenagers, saying he was going to “murder” the victim, “kick her face in” and “go mental”, before storming out of the living room and returning with a knife from the kitchen.

The witnesses reported he was holding the knife above his head saying repeatedly: “You’ll see, you’ll see. Do you want me to show you?’, with his face was contorted with anger.

He was then described as holding the knife out in front of himself and continued to make threats against the victim while holding the tip of the knife close to her throat.

Advertisement

Kershaw was arrested at the scene.

During the resulting investigation the victim gave further statements which disclosed previous assaults, as well as coercive and controlling behaviour by Kershaw throughout their two-year relationship.

This included extreme jealousy when the victim was not with him, blocking contact with family and friends, violence and even following her when she was on a night out with work colleagues.

The victim reported that on Thursday, 9th January 2020, she was sitting on the sofa when Kershaw became angry about something unknown, stood up and kicked her in the face causing a bruise to her cheek. Kershaw would not allow the victim to go to work or answer the front door the following day as the bruise was visible.

Kershaw was in court on Monday when he offered a guilty plea for affray for the incident on 21st October 2020, as well as ABH for an assault that had occurred previously in the relationship, which was accepted by the victim and prosecution.

Advertisement

He received 33 months imprisonment and a five-year restraining order covering his victim and her daughter.

In a statement to the court, the victim said she had moved house as a result of the abuse to a home that felt more secure.

She added: “Looking back on the relationship now that it is over and now that I have gained a bit of perspective; although I am questioning my whole understanding of what is acceptable in relationships, I realised how toxic the relationship had been.

“I can see how unhappy we all were in the relationship and how the house never really felt like ‘ours’ due to Elliot’s presence and the influence that he would impose on us both when we were inside. It felt more like a prison than a home.

“This whole situation has had a massive strain on me emotionally as I was also caring for my elderly parents, attempting to protect my daughter and at times I have really buried my head in the sand as there were days I could not face what has happened and there are still days where it takes all my energy just to function. I am embarrassed and feel that this relationship and subsequent violent ending has made me focus on how vulnerable I was and how vulnerable I still feel.”

Advertisement

Speaking afterwards, she thanked the officers involved in the investigation, adding she and her daughter felt supported and reassured through the whole investigation and court process.

Investigating officer DC Joe Hartnell said: “Violence against women and girls is never acceptable and as a force we are working hard to stop it happening in our area.

“We’re pleased with the outcome in this case, which we hope offers some solace to the victims and will serve as a warning for anyone who is being abusive.

“If you are suffering at the hands of someone please get in touch. We will support and guide you through the process.

“It is also important to tell us if you witness or hear anyone being abused – please don’t just let it pass. We can only act if we know it is happening.”

Advertisement

(Lead image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Dyfed Powys Police

Pembroke Dock knife-point robber jailed for five years

Published

on

By

A man who robbed a woman at knifepoint has started a five-year prison sentence just one month later.

Kieran Steven Brumby admitted holding a knife to the woman’s throat and demanding the £160 she was withdrawing from a cashpoint at Asda in Pembroke Dock at around 7.45pm on April 15.

Advertisement

Within an hour Dyfed-Powys Police were able to track down Brumby at his home in Water Street, Pembroke Dock.

Despite the incident being captured on CCTV, Brumby denied it was him during the police investigation.

However, at Swansea Crown Court on Monday, May 16, he pleaded guilty robbery, possession of a knife and possession of 0.9 grammes of cocaine.

DI Owen Thomas said: “This is a positive outcome, with Brumby arrested soon after the offence.

“He has been on remand since and is now beginning a five-year prison sentence just a month later, which I hope offers some solace and reassurance to the victim.”

Advertisement

The court heard how the woman had stopped to get cash on her way to meet friends in Haverfordwest when Brumby held the knife to her throat and said ‘give me the money’.

In a victim impact statement read out to the court the woman, who could feel the knife touching her throat, said that she was suffering from sleepless nights, palpitations and nightmares.

“I feel depressed and anxious and constantly feel like somebody is behind me,” she said.

“I am checking over my shoulder every five minutes. If I leave the house feelings of panic rise.”

Judge His Honour Geraint Walters handed down a five-year sentence for the robbery, with a 12-month sentence for possession of the knife and a one-month sentence for cocaine possession to run concurrently.

Advertisement

(Lead image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Continue Reading

Dyfed Powys Police

Driver jailed for head-on crash that caused life-changing injuries

Published

on

By

A driver who caused a head-on collision with a car being driven by a pregnant woman told police officers at the scene he had drunk 13 cans of strong lager the night before.

Rhodri Rees, aged 36, of Llandysul, admitted his drinking had gone into the early hours before he got behind the wheel and caused the crash on the A476 in Llannon, near Llanelli, by overtaking another car on a bend at around 7.40am on December 11, 2020.

Advertisement

The severe impact meant both drivers were trapped in their cars and had to be cut free by firefighters.

Thankfully the baby was unharmed in the collision, however, its mother suffered serious, life-changing injuries. She had a number of operations to repair the damage and was unable to walk for a year and still suffers the effects of the accident today.

Dyfed-Powys Police Sgt Nicholas Brookes said: “When Rees was spoken to by our officers at the scene he told them he had drunk 13 cans of Stella Artois and that he had gone to bed after midnight.

“He failed a breath test at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of drink driving before being allowed to go to hospital for treatment.”

The following day he was interviewed at Carmarthen Police Station where he told officers he had consumed eight or nine cans of Foster’s before going to bed around 2am, before getting up at around 6.45am and setting off.

Advertisement

A sample of blood was taken just before 1pm on December 11 showed Rees had 39mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood – the legal limit being 80. A blood alcohol expert had calculated that at the time of the collision the level of alcohol would have been no less than 113mg and more likely 129mg.

PS Brookes added: “This was a serious case that could have been so much worse.

“Rees admitted drinking a considerable amount of alcohol and getting little sleep before getting behind the wheel. He was lucky no-one was killed.

“I would like to commend the officer in the case, PC Benjamin Stevenson, who conducted a thorough and meticulous investigation for the offence of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.”

On Tuesday, 17th May, Rees appeared before Swansea Crown Court, having pleaded guilty at a previous hearing, and was sentenced to 18-months in prison.

Advertisement

He was also disqualified from driving for three years and 9 months, with a requirement for an extended test to regain his license.

(Lead image: Geograph)

Continue Reading

Ammanford

Man who filmed rape on Ammanford victim’s phone changes plea mid trial

Published

on

By

A man who filmed himself raping an Ammanford woman on his victim’s phone has changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial.

Cameron Hassan, aged 31, of no fixed abode, attacked the woman, raping her as she slept on 21 August 2021.

Advertisement

Hassan had been on trial at Swansea Crown Court after denying any wrongdoing. However, after the jury was shown the video of the attack and hearing the victim was going to give evidence yesterday (Tuesday, 10 May), Hassan changed his plea to guilty.

Investigating Officer DC Sophie Lambert from Dyfed Powys Police said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation.

“I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation,” she said.

“We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims.

“If you are suffering because of similar abuse, please contact the police, or if you would rather speak to someone in confidence, New Pathways are an independent charity that will support you through every step of the investigation.”

Advertisement

New Pathways can be contacted at 01685 379 310 or email enquiries@newpathways.org.uk

(Lead image: Google Maps)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Swansea Bay News