The Council confirmed today that it is seeking an emergency hearing, which could take place as soon as this week. However, officials say the hearing could be delayed if the WRU provides a written undertaking that it will not complete the deal in the meantime.
A Swansea Council spokesperson said the authority had been left with “no choice” but to act.
A Swansea Council spokesperson said:
“The proposed deal between the WRU and Y11 to buy Cardiff Rugby would mean the end of the Ospreys as a men’s professional regional rugby team playing in the URC.
“We are seeking an injunction to prevent this deal going ahead so that further discussions can take place while the current four‑team regional structure remains in place.
“The injunction would give all parties the opportunity to consider other options for the future of regional rugby in Wales.
“We believe this is a reasonable and proportionate action given the risk to the future of the Ospreys and the impact that would have on Swansea and the wider region.
“Players, supporters, residents, community clubs and local businesses stand together in support of the Ospreys remaining as one of Wales’ four professional regional rugby sides.”
The decision to pursue legal action was taken by the Council’s Cabinet on Monday and received all‑party support.
Torsten Bell, MP for Swansea West called on clubs who were “fed up with the chaos” to “call and EGM and make their voice heard”.
Mr Bell said:
“It’s right to see legal action to defend the future of the Ospreys stepping up. Fans were promised an open and transparent process to decide which clubs would continue – but got a behind-closed-doors stitch up from the WRU instead.
“We aren’t going to see professional rugby in Swansea disappear without a fight. And that fight will also need to extend beyond the courtroom. Now is the time for clubs who are fed up with the chaos the WRU have unleashed to call an EGM and make their voice heard.”
Competition watchdog also asked to intervene
Earlier this week, Swansea Council also took the unusual step of asking the Competition and Markets Authority to examine the proposed WRU–Y11 deal. The authority says it is concerned about the wider impact on the professional game, particularly the prospect of Wales moving from four regions to three, the way future regional licences might be allocated, and the possibility of a single ownership group controlling two Welsh clubs.
According to the Council, these issues raise serious questions about competition, fairness and the long‑term stability of the regional structure — concerns it believes must be tested independently before any deal is allowed to proceed.
A fight for the region’s rugby future
The Council says the injunction is intended to pause the process long enough for “other options” to be explored — and to ensure the Ospreys’ future is not decided behind closed doors.
With the WRU yet to publicly confirm whether it will provide the undertaking requested by the Council, the next step could be decided in the High Court within days.
Swansea Bay News will continue to follow developments as they unfold.
