LLANPUMSAINT: Delivery driver who killed dad and fled scene jailed

A delivery driver who killed a much-loved Llanpumsaint dad before fleeing the scene has been jailed — as a judge blasted his actions as “cruelly inhumane”.

Editor
By
3 Min Read
Police custody image of Daniel Wyke (Image: Dyfed Powys Police)

Daniel Douglas Wyke, 28, was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court to four-and-a-half years in prison after admitting causing death by dangerous driving.

The court heard how Wyke struck Aaron Jones, 38, as he walked his dog through the village on the evening of December 23, 2024.

Wyke was travelling at 34mph — 14mph over the speed limit — when he hit Mr Jones.

Advertisement

Instead of stopping, he fled the scene in his damaged vehicle.

Mr Jones, a father of two, died as a result of his injuries.

The case follows earlier proceedings where the driver admitted responsibility, after initially being charged more than a year after the fatal collision in Llanpumsaint.

Advertisement

In court, the judge condemned Wyke’s actions in stark terms.

He said the driver had been “more intent on saving his own skin” than helping the man he had struck.

Describing the aftermath, the judge added: “Those close to Mr Jones were frantically searching for him. The anguish they were feeling at the time was simply unimaginable.”

Advertisement

Paying tribute, Mr Jones’ family described him as “a remarkable, strong, caring and brilliant man who always led by the best example”.

They thanked police for their work in securing justice, and praised the support they had received from loved ones and charities as they try to rebuild their lives.

The judge told Wyke his actions had devastating consequences.

Advertisement

“Your dangerous driving cost the life of a well-loved father of two children, an adored husband and son, and a man who was a good friend to so many,” he said.

As well as his prison sentence, Wyke has been banned from driving for eight years and two months.

Sergeant Nicholas Brookes, from Dyfed-Powys Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said the death had left a lasting impact.

Advertisement

“This was a tragic incident that has left a family grieving a dad, husband and son, whose absence is felt as strongly now as 15 months ago,” he said.

He added that the crash — and its consequences — were “entirely avoidable”.

Police said their investigation had been “lengthy and detailed”, with the victim’s family at the heart of their work throughout.

Share This Article
Follow:
Got a story? Get in touch! editor@swanseabaynews.com
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Swansea Bay News

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading