Local councillor Peter Black said it was “likely that the roundabout will not be open again tonight” and urged drivers to use alternative routes to avoid the heavy congestion seen during Monday’s morning rush hour.
The junction – one of Swansea’s busiest – was left under several feet of water after torrential rain over the weekend, submerging cars and forcing emergency services to close all approaches.

(Image: Bryn Morgan)

(Image: Bryn Morgan)

(Image: Bryn Morgan)
Council: flooding linked to collapsed culvert on private land
In its latest statement, Swansea Council said it was continuing to support Welsh Water in efforts to remove the flood water.
“Prior to the severe weather during the weekend, the council ensured that a nearby watercourse and council‑maintained culvert were cleared,” a spokesperson said.
“We believe the flooding at Cwmbwrla over the weekend is linked to a previously collapsed culvert on private land which is not owned or maintained by the council.
A number of pumps have been deployed on site to help remove the water from this location and we are working to ensure this busy route is reopened as soon as possible. Once the water levels have been reduced, there will be a need to keep the route closed for a short period to carry out safety inspections and a clean‑up of the road surface.”
Motorists are being urged to continue avoiding the area while the work continues.
Long‑running culvert issue
The collapsed culvert – beneath the Cwmfelin Social Club – has been at the centre of a long‑running infrastructure problem in the area. As Swansea Bay News has previously reported, local councillors have linked it to repeated flooding and road closures on Heol y Gors and at Cwmbwrla roundabout.
You can read our earlier coverage of the weekend’s flooding here.